- Divide your class into teams of three or four students, and provide student handout.
- Instruct students to examine the materials provided and to work as a team to design and build a robot arm out of the materials. Provide students with the following parameters:
- The robot arm must be at least 18 inches in length and be able to pick up an empty Styrofoam cup.
- Teams of students must agree on a design for the robot arm and identify what materials will be used.
- Students should draw a sketch of their agreed upon design prior to construction.
You should explain that teamwork, trial, and error are part of the design process. There is no "right" answer to the problem - each team's creativity will likely generate an arm that is unique from the others designed in your class.
This adaptable Powerpoint Presentation can be used to help guide students through this lesson.
Build Your Own Robot Arm Presentation
To see portions of Build Your Own Robot Arm in action, view the following IEEE.tv video:
IEEE.tv Teacher Workshop video